Lets face it, showing a interest in other languages opens a world of opportunities. So learn some key word today. Check out my Spanish Basics blog!
2. Make an effort to make friends:
I think there are no strangers, just people we don't know. Smiling & talking to the people in the street gets you a long way!
2. Walk with confidence:
As if you know exactly where you are going. Burglars will try to get an easy prey, someone that is distracted or looks lost.
3. Try to avoid the wrong kind of attention:
Leave your jewelry at home and avoid flashy clothes. Tight clothes are also a no no.
4. Watch what the locals are wearing and buy a similar top.
You'll get a better response from people and maybe even a good bargain in the market!
5. Be safe at night: If you do go out, don't get too drunk and watch your drink always. Beer is better because they can open it in front of you.
Get a flash light and don't walk alone at night.
Make a group that are staying at your same hotel.
6. Leave all your valuables in a safe your hotel:
Passport, traveler checks and keep a scanned. Keep a copy of your passport in your inbox just in case.
7. Go to a local supermarket like Paiz, get a bright yellow plastic bag and carry it with you. This will help you blend in.
8. Thieves and pickpockets come in many shapes and sizes, so be aware:
Once I had a woman with a baby in her arms asking for change and underneath she was going for my waist bag witch had my money. I couldn't felt a thing!
9. Think and evaluate before you offer your help to any strangers that single you out.
10. Plan ahead:
It is better to book your first night in a hotel and once you have arrived after a long flight you can change your hotel if you wish for.